Hardest-Hit Counties to Receive Drought Grants

Orange County officials do not know how the grants immediately will affect local communities but said more information will be available when the grants are distributed.

The funds will be distributed through the N.C. Commerce Department, the N.C. Rural Center and the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

The grants are prioritized to benefit counties experiencing the most severe emergency water supply situations, states a Monday press release from Easley's office.

The press release states that the western two-thirds of the state are in severe to exceptional drought -- the most severe categories -- and are the most likely counties to receive funding.

Chapel Hill is in the severe category.

Grant money will enable towns to ensure a safe and adequate water supply by allowing neighboring communities to connect their water supplies, the press release states. Communities can provide water to each other in an emergency or as needed.

Julie Haigler, director of N.C. Rural Center Water and Sewer Programs, which is providing $10 million of the funds, said the money came from the Clean Water Bonds, approved by the N.C. voters in 1998.

"Many areas are absolutely out of water, especially counties just west of Mecklenburg County," said Haigler.

She said Cleveland, Rutherford and Lincoln counties are the counties in "desperate need."

The Rural Center grants are gifts, not loans, and each county's government will receive the money directly and oversee construction of the infrastructure, Haigler said.

About $5.7 million in grants will be administered by the Commerce Department.

Bill McNeil, N.C. director of community assistance, said the grants will go to "communities that have a dire, dire drought emergency."

He said the DENR maintains a list of counties that fit this description.

The grants specifically target small cities and communities because larger cities receive federal funding, McNeil said.

McNeil said he encourages towns under severe conditions to apply for the funds by contacting the Department of Commerce.

In light of recent state budget issues, McNeil said, "The state budget does not play a role in the availability of these funds."

The DENR will provide $6 million in funds from low-interest loans to complete the proposed $21 million in drought aid.

Ed Kerwin from the Orange Water and Sewer Authority said the drought is getting worse every day, despite customers responding appropriately to county pleas to decrease water usage.

"We have enough water for the rest of this year," said Kerwin, "But we could be out of water by next summer."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.