Hillsborough Celebrates Final Last Friday

The event has taken place the last Friday of every month from May through October for four years. It traditionally features programs provided by the Orange County Historical Museum, live entertainment and art exhibits from local artists.

The dancing in the street to Latin music by El Grupo Cameleon was canceled because of rain, but residents were not deterred and simply moved inside the museum and restaurants along Churton Street.

Lu-EG's Sandwich Shoppe was filled to capacity, and the fiddler of band Guilty Pleasures inspired some members of the community to dance among the tables.

The event is sponsored by the Hillsborough Arts Council with support from the Hillsborough Tourism Board and the Orange County Arts Commission.

Four different locations including restaurants and galleries scheduled live music, and several stores on Churton Street extended hours.

At the Orange County Historical Museum, UNC alumnus Chris Holaday held a signing for his newly published book, "Images of America: Hillsborough," a compilation of Orange County and Hillsborough's history through photographs gathered from the community.

Nettie Lassiter, an Orange County resident of 25 years who has come to almost every Last Friday celebration, said she is glad to see the changes generated by the renewed interest that Last Friday has brought to downtown Hillsborough.

"Hillsborough's history and architecture is outstanding," Lassiter said. "I believe in working to sustain it."

Ernest Dollar, director of the Orange County Historical Museum, has worked to transform the museum and coordinate events with Last Friday organizers.

"One-fifth of our monthly visitation comes in during the Last Friday festival," he said.

Jennifer Miller, a local artist and one of Last Friday's organizers, said the festival aims to bring interest back to the center of the community.

"It is a small town event in a charming place," Miller said. "Artists are drawn to the historical atmosphere, and as a community we want to celebrate and support that history."

Miller said another objective of the festival is to highlight downtown businesses. "We would like to enhance the businesses that are here and encourage people from outside Hillsborough to experience it" she said.

Viki Atkinson, owner of Perennials Designs, a small women's boutique, said she cherishes the small-town feel of Hillsborough and wants to help sustain it.

"I open as a contribution to the community, to help make downtown feel alive," she said. "I love opening my shop each morning and waving to the man who owns the store across the street -- customers are neighbors."

The Last Friday festival began as a project of the Hillsborough Arts Council. Miller said she was motivated to help start the project as an artist but also wanted to focus on preserving the unique community.

"When you have celebrating in the community, people look around and appreciate it," Miller said. "When you appreciate it you take care of it. Last Friday is a cooperative spirit of enjoying our place."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.