Inspecting Sites in Iraq Preferable to Waging Another War in Region

Ever since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, our country has faced the difficult decision of whether we should retaliate against Iraq.

I have taken the position in disagreeing with President Bush's inclination to attack Iraq.

As I walk around campus and see many students that are content and feel safe because right now our country is not involved in a war, I realize that preserving this feeling of security is more important than seeking revenge. Initiating a war should be a last resort.

A more rational approach would be implementing weapon inspections of Iraqi military sites, which would be beneficial in preventing our nation from being attacked. I feel that if we become more assertive and begin inspections now instead of later they will prove beneficial.

Inspections would not only inform the United States of Iraq's possession of dangerous weapons that might be used against us, but we would also be representing ourselves as a country that does not promote violence but instead one that illustrates composure and uprightness.

Our nation should not jump to conclusions and begin what could potentially become World War III. We have allies, so we should therefore consult with the United Nations and gain their support before attacking.

With the aid of Europe we would have the security and military strength that would be needed if we were to attack Iraq in the near future.

Also, by intervening with Iraqi affairs before seeking aid, we put ourselves in the position of possibly being attacked with nuclear weapons and not having the support of other nations.

In effect, the United States should ultimately act on what is in the best interest of the nation, not our feelings of pride or nationalism. I would therefore encourage students to advocate peace rather than retaliation against Iraq.

Laura Baird
Freshman
Political Science