Jewish Numbers Declining, Survey Says

The survey, conducted by a consortium of Jewish federations and communities, shows that Jews are increasing their educational attainments and on average hold higher socioeconomic positions than other U.S. citizens.

About 177,000 randomly selected Americans, both Jews and non-Jews, were interviewed by United Jewish Communities as part of the $6 million, once-a-decade study.

The findings state that the number of Jews in the country has declined by 5 percent, from 5.5 million in 1990 to 5.2 million in 2002, partly due to a decreasing birthrate.

The median age of Jews increased from 37 to 41, and the percentage of Jews under 21 fell from 21 percent to 19 percent.

But the study also found that increasing numbers of Jews are graduating from higher education institutions -- 55 percent of Jews over 18 have a bachelor's degree compared to 28 percent of non-Jews.

"(The study shows that) we are a very successful community, highly educated, very actively engaged in (our) professions and lives but unfortunately declining by virtue of an aging population," said Gail Hyman, senior vice president of marketing and public affairs for UJC.

The report also states that the Jewish population is not only declining because of aging but because of a declining Jewish birthrate.

More Jewish women nationwide are forgoing or delaying having children in favor of higher education, the study found.

Hyman said the declining birthrates also are characteristic of a higher socioeconomic strata.

The median income of the Jewish population is about $50,000 -- $8,000 higher than the median for all U.S. households, according to the study.

"People within this socioeconomic-economic strata are more involved in their personal and professional lives and delaying children as a result," Hyman said.

Despite the fact that the Jewish population is decreasing overall, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas have shown sustained growth of up to 10 percent for the past decade, said Lew Borman, executive director for the Jewish Federation of Durham-Chapel Hill.

There are now between 2,500 and 3,000 Jewish households in the area because of migration.

"(The Durham-Chapel Hill area) shows a very positive trend that may be different from the population in general," Borman said. "The area is exhibiting growth -- large growth. This is a different picture (than) the Northeast and Midwest."

In the Southeast, Jews make up a smaller fraction of the population than they do in other areas of the country.

About 22 percent of U.S. Jews live in the Southeast, although 35 percent of the total U.S. population lives in that region.

Or Mars, executive director of N.C. Hillel, said Chapel Hill's Jewish population continues to grow because of economic and academic migration, even though it mirrors declining aging and fertility trends.

"Young families and retirees are choosing this area because of its healthcare and lifelong commitment to education," he said.

Mars said the focus on numbers does not reflect the Jewish community's true contribution to the U.S.

"The Jewish community is going through a renaissance of participation in terms of quality if not in quantity," he said. "There is a tremendous growth in terms of vibrancy."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.