Landfill To Be Converted Into Affordable Housing

In a special presentation to the Orange County Board of Commissioners, the Greene Tract Work Group recommended that 104 acres of land be converted to other uses.

The work group was commissioned by the Orange County, Chapel Hill and Carrboro governments to develop recommendations for land use. In a year, the group has had eight meetings and a public input session.

Group members said that 26 acres will be held as open space protected by conservation laws, that 18 acres will be used for housing and that the remaining 60 acres will continue to be local waste management.

The resolution presented to the commissioners was reviewed and adopted by Orange County, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro representatives in June.

County Commissioner Moses Carey said the group achieved what it was charged with but added that, "More work will need to be done in order for anything to happen."

Carey worked on the Greene Tract Work Group with fellow commissioner Margaret Brown and other representatives from Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Orange County.

Commissioner Alice Gordon said she was concerned about the reimbursement cost associated with converting the land.

"This is the most studied area in the county," she said. "We need to look into what triggers the reimbursement."

Because the land is used for solid waste management, the county and towns will have to reimburse the Landfill Fund for the original price -- $608,000 -- and interest since 1984.

Rod Visser, assistant county manager, said there are many options for reimbursement.

"Besides local governments providing the funds, grant money can be used," he said. "It is possible to use federal money too; we need to investigate other reimbursement options."

Carey said the group was not charged with addressing repayment issues, just addressing future uses.

Visser said the presentation was to bring the commissioners up to speed about the work groups recommendations.

Barry Jacobs, county commissioner chairman, said the board still has questions about finances of the resolution.

"The board accepts the basic tenets of the resolution," he said. "But we want more information about the legalities regarding payment and management in the future."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.