N.C. Republicans Strive For Historic Takeover

Democrats have been in the majority in both the N.C. House and Senate for the past century, with the exception of a four-year stint of Republican control in the House during the 1990s.

Democrats have a strong-hold in the Senate with a 35-15 majority but have only a tenuous grip on the House with a 62-58 advantage.

Recent legislative redistricting -- which is widely held to favor Republicans -- might have loosened even Democrats' firm grip on the Senate and has thrown the House up for grabs.

Jonathan Jordan, communications director for the N.C. Republican Party, said he thinks it is likely Republicans will wrest control from the Democrats in the upcoming election.

"(Republicans) have a good chance of capturing the Senate and recapturing the House," he said.

Jordan said the turnover has been made more likely by the redistricting done during this past session.

Though the Democrats -- as the majority party -- originally controlled the redistricting process, they ultimately were not permitted to draw the state's districts.

The lines they penned were found unconstitutional under N.C. law, and Republican-leaning Judge Knox Jenkins drew districts to be used only for the Nov. 5 elections.

Districts will be given their final form during the 2003 session or during a special session after Nov. 5, by which time legislators will have been elected.

Rep. Russell Capps, R-Wake, said that like Jordan, he thinks redistricting has made Republicans more competitive.

"We have the best chance in a long time -- probably 100 years -- to take control of both houses," he said.

Though Republicans claim to have a leg up because of redistricting, Democrats are confident they will maintain control of the N.C. General Assembly.

Marc Siegel, communications director for the N.C. Democratic Party, said he does not think there will be a turnover in either chamber.

"Although there is no way to predict the number (of party seats), Democrats will retain control of the House and Senate," he said.

Rep. Joe Hackney, D-Orange, also said he thinks predictions of turnovers in the General Assembly will not turn out to be true.

He added that though districts were drawn by a Republican judge, Democrats still have a chance of making a significant showing on Nov. 5.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.