New Student Leader of HBCUs Pledges Action

Funding, financial aid goals for the year

The N.C. Black Student Government Association will use a hands-on, aggressive approach to policy-making, said President Arkeem Fleming, a junior at Fayetteville State University, who was elected in September.

He also serves as the speaker pro tem of FSU's Student Senate.

"We're not going to be retroactive this year," Fleming said. "We're going to be proactive."

He said the organization also will work more closely with the UNC-system Association of Student Governments, the representative body of all students in the UNC system.

ASG President Jonathan Ducote said he thinks cooperation between different student government agencies is necessary to successfully lobby the N.C. General Assembly about important issues such as tuition increases.

By working with the NCBSGA the ASG is fulfilling its goal of working with as many student organizations as possible, Ducote said. He added that the organization is enthusiastic to work with the NCBSGA.

"We hope to develop a strong partnership with the (NCBSGA)," Ducote said. "We want to lend support in any way we can."

Fleming said his goals for the 2002-03 school year include securing equal funding for HBCUs, creating a new leadership scholarship for students interested in studying at HBCUs and working in conjunction with ASG to increase student aid.

Fleming also said he is enthusiastic about Black College Day, a program designed to encourage black students to attend black colleges.

"We want to bridge the gap between our HBCU youths," he said.

Students at HBCUs will be encouraged to get involved with the NCBSGA through individual campus visits, Fleming said.

"I'm on a tour," he said. "I'm visiting each HBCU and taking my ideas to their general assemblies. They can tell the difference between past administrations and this one in terms of pro-activeness."

But Fleming will not be working alone. He has the support and confidence of other student leaders.

Jina Meadows, student body president of Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, said she is enthusiastic about Fleming and his term in office.

"I think he has a good set of goals," she said. "He's well-organized, and he knows what he wants to do."

Like Fleming, Ducote said one of his priorities this year is increasing financial aid.

"You want to put as many students in the classroom as possible, regardless of any factor," he said. "We're going to need financial aid."

Fleming stressed that his previous experience as a student leader will assist him in pushing the NCBSGA forward.

He previously served as the ASG speaker pro tem.

Fleming said, "Hopefully, we are on the way to establish a stable foundation and set the trend for administrations to come."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.