New Test Offers Certification for MBAs

The Certified MBA Exam, created by the International Certification Institute, is an objective measuring tool that will enable MBAs to differentiate themselves in a job market with more of the degrees than ever and fewer jobs, stated co-creator Michael Mebane, the managing director of the institute and a business instructor at UNC-Greensboro, in an e-mail.

ICI spokesman Atticus Simpson said many qualified MBAs not graduating from an acclaimed MBA program find themselves at an immediate disadvantage when entering the job market because recruiters use school reputation as their major hiring criterion.

"The exam measures are business fundamentals expected of an MBA," Simpson said. "(The exam's objective) is to inspire hiring competency by increasing the value and marketability of the MBA and to help students in second- and third-tier programs compete with students in first-tier programs," Simpson said.

But though Mebane said students and employers are enthusiastic about the exam, some higher education officials are skeptical.

Elliot Weiss, associate dean for MBA education at the University of Virginia, said the exam is not a valid measuring tool for an MBA student's competency.

"The degree in and of itself certifies (students) have core knowledge," he said. "We're trying to teach judgment, decision and leadership skills, which can't be measured by an exam."

Bob Adler, associate dean of UNC-Chapel Hill's MBA program, said the exam focuses too heavily on rote memorization of facts. That would encourage MBA programs to teach for the test instead of focusing on teaching more valuable critical thinking skills, he said.

"A certification exam will undermine the quality of education we give to students," he said.

Students from less prestigious programs will have an incentive to take the exam because it gives them an opportunity to compete, said Steve Allen, the director of N.C. State University's MBA program.

But Allen added that he thinks MBAs from top business schools will probably not want to take the CMBA unless employers consider exam results when hiring.

Allen said the exam's objective -- to measure fundamental business knowledge -- is certified by the degree and is not as important as leadership, team and critical thinking skills.

Employers want to be sure MBA earners have these fundamental skills before hiring them, said Page Stephens, senior vice president of corporate banking at Bank of America. "I think the exam has its merits."

But Stephens said that although where students earn their degrees is important, it is essential for an MBA to have mastered fundamental business principles.

In the past, Stephens said, he has been disappointed by MBAs' lack of fundamental knowledge. He added that he would like to see applicants take the exam to show they have a basic level of competency, regardless of what program they graduated from.

And some MBA students are interested in taking the test.

Mebane said people have responded enthusiastically to the exam. Students from 60 MBA programs have registered for the beta exam -- a free preliminary test ICI will use to evaluate the CMBA exam.

The first "live" CMBA will be offered in April. It will be administered by Prometric and will cost $450.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.