"Michael H. and John R. celebrate their union."

Announcements of same-sex partnerships have been accompanying the traditional bride-and-groom notices in many newspapers in past months.

On July 21, The Fayetteville Observer became the first newspaper in North Carolina to publish a same-sex union announcement.

Michael Arnholt, managing editor of The Fayetteville Observer, said the paper received a request to print an announcement of a civil union that took place in Vermont, where such unions are legal. "We decided it was the right thing to do," he said.

He said the article received a mixed reaction from readers.

"There were people who were upset, and then there were others who applauded the decision," he said.

The New York Times also began publishing notices a few weeks after The Fayetteville Observer's decision. "Our readers look to us for an accurate and thorough picture of the world and society," said Toby Usnik, director of public relations at The New York Times.

"Same-sex registrations and celebrations have become a wide enough trend to demand coverage on purely journalistic grounds."

Representatives from other major newspapers said they have made the choice based on similar standards.

"It supports the value of our country's freedom to be an individual and to express a range of opinions," said Peter Ridder, publisher of The Charlotte Observer.

According to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation Web site, commitment announcements were not published by any mainstream newspapers prior to 1990. The Everett Herald, a daily newspaper outside of Seattle, was the first mainstream paper to print same-sex ceremony notices.

"It is an issue of fairness," said Charlotte Observer columnist Gerry Hostetler. "For some to be able to publicize and for others not to have access is not fair." But Hostetler said the paper has yet to receive any same-sex announcements.

The (Raleigh) News & Observer maintains a policy to publish same-sex announcements but also has not received any.

"They are paid for, and we don't want to discriminate," said Karen Wallace, group advertising manager for The N&O. "Our policy accepts special occasions, and same-sex commitments are an important time in the life of the couple."

But many newspapers refuse to participate in the recent trend.

"We are a family-oriented newspaper that is concerned with traditional values," said Dick Amberg, vice president and general manager of The Washington Times. "There is no interest on the part of anyone here to publish them."

In the wake of The Charlotte Observer's decision, The Gaston Gazette issued a statement detailing its opposition to running same-sex union announcements.

"We decided to state our position against running the announcements," said Duane McCallister, publisher of the Gazette. McCallister said the statement was prompted by readers' inquiries about the Gazette's position after The Charlotte Observer decided to publish the announcements.

Other newspapers also have had to address community concern over the announcements.

In late September, Ridder spoke with a group of leaders from local churches concerning The Charlotte Observer's decision. Among them was Dan Burrell, senior pastor at Northside Baptist Church in Charlotte.

Burrell said the meeting with Ridder allowed him to register his strong disapproval. "(The announcements) are a progressive step and strategy by radical homosexuals," Burrell said.

Lou Sheldon, chairman of the Traditional Values Coalition, the largest nondenominational church lobby organization in the United States, said the announcements might just be a passing trend.

"The papers are trying to equate it with justice and equal access, but this is simply wrong," Sheldon said.

But local gay rights advocates said they are pleased with the announcements and hopeful for the future.

Trevor Hoppe, co-chairman of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Straight Alliance, said he thinks same-sex union announcements are important. "(The announcements) show the gay community that there is legitimacy in gay relationships," Hoppe said.

"We are moving toward a day when defining a life partner is something to look forward to."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.