OCRCC Holds 'Acquaintance Rape' Forum

The event was part of an extended effort by the OCRCC and the Women's Affairs Committee of student government to establish sexual awareness seminars on South Campus.

A second event is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday at Morrison Residence Hall.

Only five UNC students attended Wednesday's event, but organizers said they hope better publicity will increase attendance at Monday's event.

The speakers singled out lack of communication as a great cause of acquaintance rape.

OCRCC Community Education Coordinator Krista Park said the "language of love," subtle hints and innuendos, is naturally vague and often leads to uncertainty and confusion -- ingredients of sexual assault.

Park also said UNC students should be especially aware of sexual assault issues because of the predominance of alcohol in the college atmosphere.

"Alcohol is the drug used in most instances of sexual assault," said Cutler Andrews, OCRCC's community education assistant.

In addition to lack of communication and the presence of alcohol, the speakers cited state law as another obstacle in fighting sexual assault.

Park said legislative changes need to be made to better protect both women and men in North Carolina.

"By N.C. state law, men cannot be raped because the law defines rape as vaginal penetration," she said.

"(N.C. legislation is) very behind the times."

Park said the first step in preventing acquaintance rape is establishing standards for the relationship.

"We want to encourage communication as a new twist of prevention," she said. "Develop a clear understanding of your boundaries and expectations, and set that out in the open."