Officials Set Sights on $1.8 Billion

Campaign goal: Make UNC No.1 in nation

Several UNC officials, including Chancellor James Moeser, spoke to a crowd of faculty, students, alumni and Carolina First committee members at the Carolina Inn's Hill Ballroom.

"This is the moment that so many of us have been working toward -- to make this campaign public," Moeser said.

He said the mission of the campaign was transformation -- a goal for the University to transform the state, the nation and the world.

Carolina First is an eight-year fund-raising campaign aimed at making UNC the leading public university in the nation by increasing the University's endowment through private donations.

The goal is to secure $1.8 billion in private donations to be spent in five areas of interest -- faculty, students, strategic initiatives, research and campus renovation and expansion.

To date, $866 million in private donations has been raised through the campaign's silent phase, which began July 1999.

The University already is on its way to meeting its goal of creating 200 new endowed professorships and 1,000 new undergraduate scholarships, Moeser said.

Since the beginnings of the campaign, donors have established 92 endowed professorships and 267 scholarships and fellowships.

The attitude at the announcement was professional yet relaxed. Speakers joked about the silent phase of the campaign being "the worst-kept secret," and made light of recent University issues like the summer reading controversy.

The announcement even included a visit from a costumed representation of Gen. William Richardson Davie, considered to be the father of the University. English Professor Christopher Armitage, dressed up as Davie, discussed the history of the University and joked about the condition of the academic hall holding Davie's name.

Rain forced the Friday announcement to the Carolina Inn from its scheduled placement at Davie Poplar in McCorkle Place.

Moeser said that in addition to Carolina First, the University also would push for extra funding from the state. He said the overwhelming push for the $3.1 billion higher education bond referendum -- which passed November 2000 -- reflects a statewide support for the University, support he aims to capitalize on.

UNC will see $500 million from the state bond issue. Carolina First's initial goal of $1.5 billion was aimed at tripling the funds received from the state.

"This University is one of the state's best investments," Moeser said.

He said UNC has repaid every dollar the state spent on it with what he called "intellectual capital."

Moeser said, "Clearly, no institution has produced more leaders, solved more problems and served the public better than Carolina."