Sunday, June 2, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Officials Denounce Anti-Semitic Mood

Moeser, others say no to intimidation.

There have been several instances of hatred toward Israeli or Jewish supporters on college campuses within the past few months, the statement said.

By signing the statement, campus officials agreed not to tolerate intimidation on campus.

The American Jewish Committee published the statement, including the 300 signatures, in an advertisement in Monday's edition of The New York Times.

The statement distinguished between anti-Semitism, which is hatred of Jews, and anti-Zionism, which is opposition to an Israeli state.

The statement also expressed the AJC's desire to initiate public action against this behavior. "We were concerned about the welfare of our students and universities," said Ken Bandler, AJC public relations director.

He said his phone has been ringing off the hook with calls from supporters of the advertisement. The AJC expects support to continue as long as the presence of anti-intimidation on campuses remains.

But several chancellors and presidents declined to sign the statement when it was originally presented to them at the beginning of the academic year by James O. Freedman, former president of Dartmouth College.

Chancellors and presidents declining to sign included leaders of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Chicago, the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard University.

An MIT representative said school officials did not sign the statement because it was too narrow in its description of groups affected by intimidation.

Susan Nierenberg, assistant director of the AJC, said the committee had intended the statement to reach beyond the Jewish community.

"We want the broadband emphasis on all cases of intimidation,"she said. "It is not just a statement about anti-Semitic behavior on campus."

Moeser signed the statement Sept. 25 but said he did not think it addressed the full issue of intimidation on campuses.

"In the wake of 9/11 there have also been acts of violence and intimidation directed to Muslim students and Arabs," he wrote on the statement. "I would be happier if this statement were more inclusive. UNC is intimidation-free for all."

Moeser said that the University does not hold an anti-Semitic stance but that it is not a one-sided issue. "I am in favor of all religious backgrounds having a safe environment on campus, though I don't sense these disputes (between religious groups) here at UNC," he said.

Moeser said he plans to speak more on the subject at Friday's Faculty Council meeting.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide