Officials Release New Guidelines for Handling Possible Smallpox Outbreaks

A guide released released Sept. 23 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- called the Smallpox Vaccination Clinic Guide -- outlines additional steps that states need to take.

The guide is part of the larger Smallpox Response Plan and Guidelines first released in November.

Concerns about a possible resurgence of smallpox, which was declared eradicated in 1980 by the World Health Organization, arose in the wake of bioterrorism threats stemming from the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

Widespread smallpox vaccination ceased in 1971, as the risks associated with the vaccine outweighed the chance of actually contacting the disease, but recent fear of bioterrorism has led to federal action.

U.S. Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., has been a proponent of recent funding for bioterrorism preparation.

"(The funding) provides $3.2 billion for the stockpiling of vaccines and antibiotics for state and federal governments," said a spokesman for Edwards.

The guide issued by the CDC recommends plans for states to develop response plans in case of an outbreak.

Plans include the organization of clinics, as well as instructions for how to vaccinate large numbers of people in short periods of time.

Officials say the state is paying close attention to the recommendations.

"A lot of the North Carolina's response hinges on CDC recommendations," said Bill Furney, representative for the N.C. Department of Health. "We've been working on the issue and have the logistic process. In an acute and specific outbreak, we'd have no problem at all."

He said the state's supply of smallpox vaccination is "in good standing."

Smallpox is transmitted through the highly contagious variola virus, which is spread through fluid, such as saliva, or pus from an infected person.

Early symptoms include fever, fatigue, and head and backaches. The disease eventually eventually progresses into a serious rash of pus-filled pocks on skin. Smallpox is fatal in 30 percent of cases.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.