Pundits: Candidates Scripted In Debate

The first debate held since the two candidates won their respective parties' nominations was taped Monday morning at Meredith College in Raleigh. Other than the two mediators from local television stations, no audience or media members were allowed at the taping.

"The candidates did what they wanted to do in a very controlled situation," said Thad Beyle, UNC political science professor. "It was easier for both of them with no audience."

Michael Munger, chairman of Duke University's political science department, said the candidates seemed more like actors than individuals participating in an open debate.

"The debate was stilted because there was no (live) audience," he said. "The situation was similar to a job interview, with a private tenseness among the candidates instead of an air of debate."

Munger said Dole had difficulty adjusting her speaking style to debate format. "She is like a press secretary having trouble with an unscripted format and preparing three or four answers," he said.

Beyle also said that Dole approached the debate in a scripted manner but that she focused more on her own ideas and issues than did Bowles.

"She won the battle of logistics," he said. "Dole talked about what she called the 'Dole Plan.' ... It was named like it was in Congress already."

But Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC's Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life, said Bowles benefited more from the debate's focus on domestic issues. Discussion focused on tax cuts, Social Security, health care and negative advertising.

"Dole had a lot of visibility on TV as a celebrity, but the domestic questions were more on Bowles' turf," Guillory said.

But Munger said Bowles focused more on reasons not to vote for Dole during the debate than expressing his stance on issues.

"Bowles is behind in the polls and had to point out her negative points," he said. "People listen to negative points. If he said, 'She worships the devil and eats babies,' people would hear it."

Munger said the debate might have been futile for both candidates as many voters did not watch the poorly advertised debate.

"A lot of people might not have watched it so their opinions will not change based on this debate," he said.

"People (still) will be more inclined to think about top national news, including the candidates' stance on Iraq. This is unfortunate for the Democratic Party, which focuses more on bread-and-butter issues."

But Guillory said domestic issues will play top priority in the election because of the importance of the economic transition in North Carolina.

Beyle also said the economy will move out as the major issue in the race for the Senate seat.

"People are watching everyone lose jobs," he said. "When they think about why they are voting, they will think of the economy."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.