Round 2 For Dole, Bowles

U.S. Senate debate at ECU gets heated

GREENVILLE -- U.S. Senate hopefuls Democrat Erskine Bowles and Republican Elizabeth Dole fielded questions posed by a live audience in a finger-pointing debate held Saturday at East Carolina University.

About 100 people were admitted to the one-hour debate, and it was aired live to North Carolinians across the state.

The event launched with discussion of North Korea's nuclear arms program. Though the program is banned under international treaty, both Bowles and Dole said diplomacy -- not war -- is the best solution to dealing with the situation.

But the candidates said that the insurrection in Iraq is entirely different and that they would support military action if the Iraqi regime remained uncooperative.

As the debate gained momentum, the two agreed on little else.

Dole attacked Bowles for refusing her challenge to run an ad-free race, claiming that she alone has been committed to clean campaigning.

"Somewhere along the way she changed her tune," Bowles responded, pointing to a Dole ad he claims unfairly attacks his wife, Crandall Bowles, and the textile company she heads.

"When she went to criticize my family and my wife, she went too far," he said.

Dole retorted, "I have never attacked your wife, nor have I attacked you."

The candidates also drew distinctions between themselves on the issues.

"Another difference between my opponent and me is that I have a plan for the future of North Carolina," Dole said.

Her plan included creating jobs for North Carolinians by loosening government regulations that she says have a stranglehold on businesses -- particularly small operations. She also pledged to stimulate the economy by pushing for tax cuts.

But Bowles said education, not reduced taxation, is the key to stimulating the state's economy. North Carolina will not be able to attract modern industry without a well-funded education system that turns out qualified workers, he said. "We've got to have more money in our schools."

Dole countered that big-government spending is not the answer to the state's problems. "I want smaller government because I trust the people," she said. "My opponent trusts the government."

Bowles bristled at Dole's claim, stating, "I trust people too."

He then attacked Dole on what he considers her poor record on civil rights.

"I was disappointed that you opposed the 1990 Civil Rights Act," Bowles said. "I'm not going to rest until every person -- black, brown, white, male or female -- in this state has equal opportunity."

Dole responded that she supported a similar act in 1991 that she thought was more effective. "I'll take second to no one in helping women and minorities."

The candidates also bantered extensively over methods for funding a tobacco buyout, necessary steps to reform Medicare and plans to revamp the ailing Social Security system.

The two also touched on dedication and effectiveness. "I'm about getting results," Dole said near the debate's end.

Bowles pledged his loyalty with, "I want to wake up every day thinking about what's in the best interest of you."

After the debate, the candidates left through separate back entrances.

As Dole made her way to the Buick awaiting her arrival, she dubbed the event a success. "I really enjoyed it."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.