Sangam Sounds Off On Racial Concerns

The meeting's title was "Apu, Who Are You?" -- named after the stereotypical Indian convenience store clerk from "The Simpsons."

"I wish people would know the other side of what Indians can be," said senior Rita Zota.

The meeting, which drew about 50 people to Union 224, was the first of its kind for the group. Members of Sangam, which is a Hindu word for "togetherness," wanted to hold a meeting that would allow South Asian students to discuss the issues that affect them.

"Our general body meetings have been geared toward announcements," said senior Amee Patel, the co-chairwoman of membership relations. "We wanted a general body meeting that would let people talk and not be afraid to speak up."

Sangam officers at the meeting said they were pleased by the turnout and the interest shown by those who attended.

"I think it was definitely a success," Patel said. "I saw a lot of people that usually do not come to general body meetings, and we were able to target those South Asians that aren't in Sangam."

People who attended said they were pleased as well.

"I think it was good to hear everyone's views," said sophomore Saniah Qureshi. Qureshi was born in South Asia, and she said the meeting helped her see how Indian-Americans deal with life in the United States.

After several announcements, the floor was opened to anything the group wanted to talk about.

The first topic discussed was the main feature of the meeting -- the stereotypes of South Asians. "I think to break into anything we need to face our own stereotypes, not others'," said senior Justin Doshi, referring to the lack of South Asians in many professions.

Senior Reena Arora agreed. "(South Asians) don't have national representation -- no politicians, no one in entertainment."

Another topic of the meeting was the dual identity of being Asian and American.

Sophomore Menaka Kalaskar said, "Saying you're Indian-American is very crucial to your identity and to America, to show that this nation is a melting pot."