Scoring Aptitude Makes Morrell ACC's Top Pick

Against No. 21 Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla., Morrell exploded less than 20 minutes into the second half, scoring two goals within the three minutes of each other.

The back-to-back goals prompted a 4-0 UNC scoring run in a nine-minute span of the second half that helped lead the Tar Heels to an 5-1 win.

Four days later against Virginia, the sophomore forward from Plymouth, Mich., sparked a rally in which UNC scored twice in the last 10 minutes for a come-from-behind 2-1 win.

Morrell's game-winning goal on a 40-yard shot, which came with less than seven minutes left in the game, made the difference.

Women's Golf Snags 4th Place

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The North Carolina women's golf team completed the final round at the 2002 Mercedes-Benz Women's Championship on Sunday with a 912 total, which moved UNC into fourth place overall.

Despite a poor final round finishing with a four-over-par, 76, UNC's Ashley Prange edged above Purdue's Kari Damron and Florida's Amanda Dick, to win her first individual medalist honor with a 218 tournament total. Prange held the individual scoring lead throughout all three rounds.

Juniors Meaghan Francella and Josie Shinn finished the tournament tied for 21st. Abby Spector and Meghan Adams tied for 40th and 48th, respectively.

The Tar Heels' next match, the Lady Paladin Invitational in Greenville, S.C., is slated for Oct. 25-27.