Session Length Could Play a Role in Election

By Matt Crook

Staff Writer

The N.C. General Assembly's extended session could have unanticipated results for politicians this election season and in future meetings, pundits say.

"There wasn't a clear winner between the two parties," said Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC's Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life. "There's public disenchantment with the institution as a whole."

With the economy in turmoil, there was difficulty over the budget in this year's session which extended the session an extra three months -- the second time it has been extended in as many years.

"The public is displeased with the length of partisan stalemate and (the) cutting of the budget," Guillory said. "The economy has dumped a lot of pressure on legislators."

But Guillory said next year's session could be even longer.

"There will be several dozen new members; it may take a while to get (the legislative process) up to speed," he said.

Guillory said that there also might be a shift in power in the General Assembly and that it would take time for legislators from opposing parties to settle differences.

Many voters might be disenchanted because of the redistricting battle, setting the stage for an increase of Republicans in the General Assembly, Guillory said.

Rep. David Redwine, D-Brunswick, said that although none of his constituents have complained to him about the length of this year's session, they would have liked to have seen it shortened.

Redwine supported a bill last session to shorten the legislative session, although it failed.

Shortening the session would allow partisans of both parties to campaign more in their districts, he said.

"There were both Democrats and Republicans that needed to campaign during the session," Redwine said. "The difficulty to campaign was the same for both parties."

Redwine said partisan politics were not the cause of the session's extension. "Both parties are to blame, if any, for the length of the session," he said.

But Danny Lineberry, press spokesman for House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, said the extended session was the result of conflict between the two parties.

"Some may say the Republicans were vulnerable and weren't able to campaign because they insisted on not getting anything done in session," he said.

Lineberry said legislators will see what the public really thinks of the extended session when voting season comes around.

"Through the elections, voters' voice(s) will be heard."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.