Skylight Exchange Hosts Art Event

Author William Burroughs dubbed this synergism The Third Mind, and from this concept came Chapel Hill's Third Mind Collective, the culprit community responsible for Saturday night's film festival at the Skylight Exchange.

Composed of artists of several media, the collective works together create and promote primarily local art. Saturday night's event was relatively small potatoes for the collective, consisting of three hours of short independent films played for an audience of about a dozen.

And the venue could not have been better suited for the show.

Walk down Rosemary Street and turn into a dimly lit alley with walls painted blood red. Enter the door of the Skylight Exchange and behold shelves lined with books, tapes, compact discs and LPs, all under the soft illumination of bulbs far from adequate to light the room.

If there were music/book stores in the medieval era, this is how they'd look. Think of claustrophobia -- but in a good way. Think of character.

On this particular evening, a wrinkled white sheet hung before a diminutive stage, providing the surface for the projector's images.

The films themselves were what should be expected from independent artists -- marked by unconventional technique, off-beat humor and vague drama conveying raw emotion more than clear, denoted meaning.

Some of the characters included a demented chicken-man, a drunken nun and a mischievous bee-girl bent on sabotaging a grammar school science lab.

To complement such characters, the artists also employed stylistic filmmaking. "Nuns Getting Drunk," for instance, mimicked archaic silent film, complete with sped-up, exaggerated character movement, a low frame-rate, piano music and text-based dialogue.

Other shorts were impromptu -- one featured an actress arguing with the film director on screen while another captured a confused female dog performing inappropriate acts on its owner's leg.

The Third Mind Collective is obviously not working by Hollywood's standards, nor is this its intent.

Josh Sokal, film maker and member of the collective's leading triumvirate, said the doctrine of the group wasn't tailored to fit a formulaic mold.

"The idea was just to start a nonprofit collective to promote the arts," he said.

"Right now there's no outlet for artists ... who don't want to jump through hoops and play the corporate game."

To that end, profit generally does not motivate the group's events. Any money that is raised goes back into the collective and is used to produce music compilations or publish artistic and socially motivated magazines.

The collective continues to grow, now incorporating artists from Ohio, South Carolina and Oregon. It has put on shows in Charlotte and New Orleans, as well as a local event that included four separate venues -- works of various media, ranging from film to music to paintings, were presented at each location.

Such diversity within a common unity is the precise nature of the Third Mind Collective.

"I like to be intrigued, be moved by (the art), be inspired by it," said musician and leading collective member Brandon Herndon, referring to the symbiotic relationship between the society's artists.

"If some element of the night makes me want to write, then I feel that (the event) was successful."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.