Sniper Fears Affect D.C. Fall Break Plans

After being inundated with papers and midterm exams, most have been looking forward to a relaxing Fall Break, free from the stresses of college life.

But for students from the Washington, D.C., area, what normally would be an exciting trip home this week has instead caused worry and concern because of the recent sniper attacks.

The sniper now has killed nine people and wounded two in various places around the Washington area since Oct. 2.

Monday's shooting, the most recent attack, occurred in Fairfax County, Va., killing a 47-year-old woman in a parking deck adjacent to a Home Depot.

The sniper is suspected to be traveling in a white Astro van, and police and FBI officials have been setting up road blocks on Interstate 495 to investigate vehicles.

UNC freshman Lara Keith is from Fairfax, Va., close to the location of the most recent shooting.

"I'm pretty scared," Keith said.

"I'm driving home with my suitemates, and my mom warned me not to stop for gas anywhere north of Richmond."

Some students said they know people who are looking to leave the Washington area this weekend.

"One of my friends decided to visit me in Chapel Hill because of the shootings," said junior Justin Eason.

"A lot of my friends go to Maryland schools; they are really worried," said senior Marcia Liu.

Because of the attacks, some students said they have altered their Fall Break plans to travel to the Washington area.

"My family planned to go on vacation during Fall Break, and we always wanted to go to D.C. ," said Lara Whittaker, a junior from Charlotte. "Last Thursday and Friday, after the guy was killed at the gas station in Virginia, we decided not to go."

Despite the possible danger, other students said they still will keep their initial travel plans.

Sophomore Lauren Jones, who lives 15 minutes from where the shooting of a middle school boy took place in Bowie, Md., said she still intends on heading home for the break.

"I'm not scared, but the other people in my car aren't letting me stop --we're packing dinner," she said.

Tar Heel Voices, an a cappella group at UNC, had planned a trip during the break to perform in Washington and New York, but members of the group had to hold a meeting Tuesday night to determine whether to still go on the trip.

"We're going anyhow. We have one member that's not going with us, and it took us a long time to figure out," said sophomore group member Larissa Dohy.

But most of the students interviewed said they are nervous about traveling, as people wait to see if the sniper will attack again.

"Someone I knew growing up -- his mentor was one of the people killed," said Kevin Krasnow, a senior from Rockville, Md. "Fall Break is usually a time for rest and relaxation and a sense of security; this year it's the reverse."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.