Solutions to Empty Wallets

Options: sell used CDs, donate plasma

And that need for some quick cash sometimes becomes desperate, especially before school lets out for occasions such as Fall Break.

Sera-tec, a plasma donation center on Franklin Street, is just one of the many places near the UNC campus where students such as Streich get that extra cash.

Giving plasma takes a little more than an hour and is a "quick, easy way to make some money and a way to get some studying in," said Streich, who started giving plasma at the beginning of the semester. "I'm trying to do it on a regular basis," he said.

Jennifer Howard, medical historian at Sera-tec, said students can give plasma up to twice a week and receive $25 for each donation.

"Many students say it is actually easier than working because you get $50 a week," Howard said.

"(Most of my friends) either have a real job or they donate plasma," said senior Amanda Sturm.

Stores and donation centers on campus know to expect students coming in for some quick cash.

Howard said the number of students coming in for money rises especially before breaks and weekends.

But some of the side effects of donating plasma, such as faintness, weakness or dizziness and bruising from the needle, keep some students away from Sera-tec.

"I went (to donate plasma) one time, and I could hardly get back to my dorm," said junior Ann Urquhart.

Students said research studies at area hospitals also provide an opportunity for some quick cash.

"I did a research thing about students who smoke," junior Mark Postlethwaite said. "That was $30 for filling out a survey."

But for students who would rather not have to deal with the side effects of giving plasma or the time involved with a research study, there are many other options for fast cash around campus.

Students said a part-time job is often too time-consuming for those who already have to balance classes, papers and a social life. For this reason, many often resort to selling some of their possessions for fast cash.

Students can walk into many stores near campus with an armful of CDs and come out with a pocketful of cash.

"It depends on the CD, but we usually give three to five dollars a disc," said Ken Thurheimer, a manager of Schoolkids Records on Franklin Street.

"We take anything we think we can resell."

Turtles Music, located on Franklin Street, also buys used CDs from students in need of some quick cash.

"We definitely have regulars," said Clint Webb, associate manager of Turtles.

Webb also said that with new technology allowing students to burn CDs, many students bring CDs that they've recently burned.

"I guess between (Turtles Music) and Sera-tec a lot of kids get extra money," Webb said.

For athletes with soccer cleats and lacrosse equipment that they'll never touch again, Play It Again Sports, in Eastgate Shopping Center, buys used sports equipment and resells it.

"(Students) can get anywhere from $10 to $40 depending on what they bring in," said Chris Jones. assistant manager at Play It Again.

"There's a couple (of students) that come in a lot," Jones said.

But for students who have already sold most of their CDs and books for cash and aren't up to giving plasma twice a week, perhaps the fastest source of cash is still Mom and Dad.

"When I need money, I call my daddy," said freshman Jennifer Rife.

Sophomore Gregory Jackson said he also has the same plan.

"(Calling my parents) is the first option," Jackson said. "If Mom and Dad say no, you're on your own."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.