Student Campaigners Must Resign From Executive Branch

She said it would be a conflict of interest for members of the executive branch to run or work on a campaign for elected office.

"We have a strong commitment to ... neutrality," Daum said.

Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller said that many students do not run for a second term but that the deadline ensures that those who do are equal to students running for the first time.

"It is up to student government to make sure the dialogue is fair and it is a clean election, not to endorse one candidate over another," Hiller said.

"The purpose of student government is to serve the students," he continued. "We can't do that when we take stances."

Daum explained that anyone who is involved in running a campaign for the elections in mid-February also must resign by Sunday.

Even though elections are almost four months away, Daum said it is important to have an early deadline.

"Many people have already begun campaigning," she said. "Campaigning is a lot of work."

Daum would not name any specific officers who she knows are considering campaigning next semester.

The resignation deadline is a student government tradition because it is not yet mandated in the Student Code. Hiller said it is enforced by successive administrations.

Even though the officers will not be able to work for the rest of the semester, some members of student government think it is for the best.

David Levitch, executive assistant to the student body president, said, "I think it would be more unfair to students if (the officers) run and don't resign."