Students to Give Their State of the University Address

Daum, Larson and Spillman to address student concerns

Student Body President Jen Daum, Speaker of Student Congress Tony Larson and Student Attorney General Amanda Spillman will speak at 4 p.m. in the Student Union Auditorium.

"It allows the elected or selected officials of the three branches of student government to give a student perspective on where the University is and where it is going," Daum said Monday.

Chancellor James Moeser gave his second State of the University speech Sept. 4, and now student leaders said the student voices will be heard as well.

Student leaders will address concerns they believe are most important to students, including access, tuition and Moeser's proposed measures of excellence, Daum said.

This is the first student State of the University Address since former Student Body President Nic Heinke's speech three years ago. But this is the first time all three branches of student government have come together to address the University, Larson said.

Daum said she hopes for a good turnout even though the event has not received much publicity. "The point is to encourage a dialogue, to get other students to talk about what they think is important," she said.

Larson said the address will enable students, faculty and administration to see student government in action. "It is an opportunity for students to see their elected and appointed leaders and hear directly from them what they think is important."