Students Voice Concerns About Future Perspective Requirements

The steering committee, chaired by physics Professor Laurie McNeil, was formed in the fall 2000. It is charged with examining the state of the undergraduate general education curriculum established in 1980 and proposing changes it deems necessary.

Nineteen students attended the forum to voice their concerns about the prospective requirements.

Dominant concerns voiced among students dealt with the elimination of the physical education requirement as it now stands, replacing it with a wellness requirement.

The proposed wellness course combines physical activity with a cognitive component that would give students one hour of credit.

The cognitive component of the wellness course would involve students spending time off the field learning about topics such as cancer and heart disease.

"It seems that no students would take it seriously," said junior Rachel Gurvich. "They have heard it all before, and it kind of sounds like high school P.E."

Other students agreed that the additional hour earned toward graduation would not compensate for the additional work they would have in a wellness course, which would have exams.

Freshman Johnny Gilbert also said he thinks the wellness course is not necessary. Instead, he said he thinks there should be a technology requirement.

"They give us all laptops, but nobody knows how to use them," he said.

Other students agreed that a technology requirement would be more appropriate. "It seems appropriate that technology would be a foundation for all students, especially when we throw laptops at them and say, 'Here, use this,'" said senior Tommy Mann.

McNeil countered this argument by saying technology skills would be developed within the context of other courses rather than in an outside course.

Kim Sexton, academic affairs chairwoman for student government, agreed with the other students and said a technology course would be both appropriate and beneficial to students.

Students also were concerned about the committee's proposal to eliminate the swim test.

The committee surveyed students last spring and learned that many students neither liked nor benefited from the swim test.

But the student forum shared a different opinion. "It's not there for the people who know how to swim, it is there for the people who don't know how to swim," said senior Sara Mamo.

McNeil also said the committee suggested eliminating the swim test because it did not have an academic supplement.

But Mamo said, "To throw it out because it doesn't have a cognitive component is wrong. It has a life-saving component."

The committee's proposal contains three goals -- foundations, approaches and connections.

Foundations and approaches are similar to the general education requirements student's face now.

Although the connections requirements do not require any additional hours, they call for students to build on their foundations and approaches courses by cross-examining studies such as language and literature. Connections also includes areas like study abroad and a U.S. diversity requirement.

Courses can be counted twice if they fulfill two different requirements.

But students at the meeting had concerns about the goals. Although the committee aimed to lower the number of general education credits needed, there was question as to whether there would be enough courses offered to students that would cross-list with other requirements.

The committee now will look over the comments made Tuesday and make revisions as it sees fit.

Students have additional opportunities for input on the Internet up until Feb. 7, 2003 -- the target date for the Educational Policy Committee of the Faculty Council to vote on the proposal. Information can be found at http://www.unc.edu/curriculumrevision.

As a member of the Educational Policy Committee, Sexton said she will advocate for a student voice when the committee votes. "I can at least argue the student points there and make sure they go further than this forum."