Town Council Slams Brakes on Duplex Construction

The action essentially buys time for the council to devise a long-term duplex regulation that would more specifically address problems in the Northside neighborhood, whose residents have been the most ardent supporters of the duplex ban.

Town Hall was packed with anxious Chapel Hill residents, 40 of whom signed up to speak in front of the council.

The opinions of the speakers varied widely. Students for the most part disapproved of the ban, saying the ordinance was an attack on the student body.

Student Body President Jen Daum spoke for the student population, asking the council to consider waiting to make a decision while working with the students to arrive at a joint decision. "The blanket ordinance would do harm for the students," she said. "I would like to offer the student government's support and help in finding a solution to this problem."

Daum argued that the problem is rooted in the Northside community, not the entire Chapel Hill area.

Several Northside community residents spoke at the meeting, strongly supporting the ordinance to ban new duplex development.

Northside resident Delores Bailey said the essence of the neighborhood would be challenged if more duplexes were built in the area, thus attracting more students.

"Northside residents are working to maintain its character," she said. "Additional duplexes will not help us do this."

Daniel Orisson, a doctoral student at UNC, placed the blame on the University and said the school should take more responsibility for student housing.

"Northside is being developed at a disregard to its current residents," he said. "I feel that if the University does not take responsibility for student housing, then the town's most vulnerable residents will be affected negatively."

The debate escalated as the night drew on, and opinions from both sides culminated in several loud outbursts and tense statements from several residents.

Ed Caldwell, a long-time Chapel Hill resident, gestured profusely during his speech, which ran over the allotted three minutes.

"I don't mind students, but you have to respect me and people who grew up in Northside," he told the council. "You know what to do; you pass that ban on (duplexes). That's the least you can do."

After nearly 2 1/2 hours of personal pleas, the council passed the ban, emphasizing its temporary nature and assuring students that there will be new housing available when a new development, Chapel Ridge, will open next year. The complex is slated to house nearly 600 people.

"I think to say that this hurts students is not taking that into account," said council member Flicka Bateman.

In addition to voting for the ban, the council also passed an ordinance to adjust the development ordinance in regard to nonconforming structures, including standing duplexes. "(The ordinance) would change our nonconforming language so that existing structures would change as minimally as possible," said Roger Waldon, planning director. "Any building that exists on the ground tonight would be grandfathered, or exempted, from the ordinance."

The council has scheduled several resident workshops for gathering additional public input this weekend. More information can be found at http://www.ci.chapel-hill.nc.us.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.