Town to Fund Council Members' Internet

The decision gives council members high-speed Internet access in their homes, software, computers and accessories such as printers to use during their terms in office.

According to a memorandum from Town Manager Cal Horton to the council, council members are using a variety of Internet access services and personal computers to get town information. Members will now receive faster Internet providers through DSL or cable, as well as computers with the same anti-virus software for security.

Bill Stockard, assistant to the town manager, said it is important for the council to have Internet access because there are so many communications that are sent electronically.

"There is significant interest in investing in tools to allow the council to access information," Stockard said. "The council wants to be able to access documents and connect more easily."

The council members also are interested in reducing paper costs because of the volume of material they receive every day, he said.

But according to the memorandum, the allocation of funds for Internet access and new technology will increase the budget over the next few years.

"The first part of payment will be budgeted from the Town Council budget," Stockard said. "Money was found and transferred to the Town Council account."

The memorandum states that $3,000 will be transferred from the town's contingency account to provide funding for this fiscal year. In the 2003-04 fiscal year and the following two years, the council will spend $11,400 annually on Internet access, a computer, software and accessories for each council member.

Beginning in the 2006-07 fiscal year, the annual cost to taxpayers will drop to $5,400, which will cover Internet services.

"All council members would get new computers and similar type of technology for their term in office beginning January 2003," Stockard said.

Council member Pat Evans said the staff recommended the policy.

"Right now we get packets and notebooks delivered," Evans said. "With the change of times we are now receiving most of our information by computer."

She said Cary and Orange County also provide government officials with similar technology.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, said using funds for supplying Internet access and technology to officials is appropriate. "It's the equivalent of 100 years ago and giving them pencil and paper."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.