UNC Aids State In Combatting Nurse Deficit

New program allows students to be registered nurses faster

North Carolina is projected to have a shortfall of 2,046 registered nurses by 2005. The shortfall is expected to soar to 17,924 by 2020, according to a report published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in July.

The report cites a growing and aging patient population, an aging registered nurse workforce and a decline in nursing graduates as sources of the shortage.

Nursing school graduation numbers have dropped 26 percent over the past five years.

But despite the overall decline, enrollment at UNC's School of Nursing rose to 162 students in the fall of 2002, up from 144 last year, said nursing school Dean Linda Cronenwett.

Many nurses say the shortage problems have to do with nursing conditions.

As nurses become overworked and stressed because of staffing shortages, many retire, creating worse conditions for those who stay.

Susan Pierce, professor of nursing, said the most pressing problem is an unsatisfactory workplace environment, ranging from abuse from physicians and patients to large amounts of paperwork.

"These nurses have too many patients and work too many hours," Pierce said. "It makes them feel like they're not doing a good job."

Pierce, president-elect of the N.C. Nurses Association, said the organization is focusing its efforts on helping hospital administration and management create a better work environment for nurses.

To solve the national shortage, Congress passed the Nurse Reinvestment Act in July.

The legislation established new scholarships and grants for geriatric training and faculty loan cancelation programs.

Cronenwett said the school has felt little external pressure to increase enrollment to meet the state's needs. Instead, the pressure is internal, as the school attempts to fulfill its commitment to providing the state with qualified health-care professionals.

In response to the immediate need for nurses nationwide, the University introduced an