UNC's New Passing Game Instrumental Against Wake

Game and time

Site: Groves Stadium.

TV/Radio: Jefferson-Pilot Sports will televise the game. The Tar Heel Sports Network will provide live radio coverage; its flagship station is WCHL 1360-AM.

Records: North Carolina is 2-5, 0-3 in the ACC. Wake Forest is 4-4, 2-3.

Series: North Carolina leads 65-31-2.

Personnel update: North Carolina -- QB Darian Durant (thumb) out for season; DT Eric Davis (knee) out for season; DE Will Chapman (hand) out; DT Donti Coats (ankle) out; RB Andre Williams (back) out; LB Clarence Gaddy (concussion) questionable; DT Carl Smalls (concussion) questionable; OT Willie McNeill (mild concussion) probable. Wake Forest -- none reported.

The key matchup: By now, it is painfully clear to North Carolina that it simply cannot stop the run. It cannot stop good rushing teams like Texas, and it cannot stop mediocre rushing teams like Virginia. The Tar Heels certainly won't be able to contain Wake Forest's smashmouth ground attack.

The Demon Deacons have rushed for 340 or more yards three times this season. They have three of the ACC's top 10 rushers. As a team, Wake is averaging 249.9 rushing yards per game, 10th in the nation, while UNC's rush defense has been scorched for 212 rushing yards per game, good enough for 108th in the nation.

"This is what makes (the Deacons) unique too, they're a different style of offense with some of the misdirection plays, counter plays, sprint outs, the reverses and fake reverses all the time," said UNC coach John Bunting. "There's a lot of physicalness to their play, along with all the deception."

The undisciplined Tar Heel defense stands little chance against Wake's physical backs and complicated running schemes, so UNC's only chance will be the passing game.

Can the North Carolina aerial assault be as effective with C.J. Stephens at quarterback as it was with Darian Durant at the helm?

Wake's passing defense is one of its weaknesses, so Stephens has a chance to be at least somewhat as productive as Durant has been. And Stephens' mystery-status could prove advantageous for the Tar Heels.

"It's a little scary because we know he's a great player," said Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe. "He wouldn't have been on scholarship at Florida if he wasn't a great player. We just haven't seen a lot on him.

"We're going to have to find out as the game goes what his strengths are. He's a guy that completes a lot of his passes, and of course he's got if not the best receiving corps in the league, then one of the very best."

Final analysis/prediction: Stephens will lean on wideout Sam Aiken and very well might put up big passing numbers. But the team that has gained more rushing yards has won the last 12 games in this series.

Wake Forest 34, UNC 24.

-- Compiled by Aaron Fitt