Undergrad's Numbers Still the Same

Roughly the same number of students walked through the double doors of both the Undergrad and Davis libraries on the first day of classes this year as they did two years ago.

"I know it has been really busy over there," said Diane Strauss, associate University librarian for public services at Davis. "It's actually been pretty busy over here."

Undergrad statistics show that 5,646 people came to check out the newly renovated library, compared to 5,731 on the same day of fall 2000.

But compared to last year, Davis Library, the main refuge for students after the closing of the Undergrad, saw a notable decrease from 9,903 to 7,900 this year.

For the first month the Undergrad was a study haven for 79,865 students. And if trends continue, the library will reach its annual mark of more than a million people by the end of the year, said Leah McGinnis, electronic reserve librarian at the Undergrad.

Some students would agree that the Undergrad's renovations have a made a huge improvement and drawn them back to the library.

Spiral staircases lead students down to a massive computer lab, which is fully complete with fast-paced machines.

Arrays of comfy couches and chairs offer the weary student many spots to rest their feet or even nap. And plenty of study areas, large and small, make group work and individual test cramming easier.

But not everyone is taking advantage of the fresh carpet and free printing.

"It's really nice -- nice computers," said Holly Jilcott, a junior exercise and sports science major. "(But) I'm just used to coming over (to Davis)."

The old stereotype that the Undergrad has a sort of coffee shop-like atmosphere, where students chit-chat with classmates while snacking and finishing up homework before class, still looms in the minds of some students.

"Davis is quieter. The UL is more of a social place," said Jason Glei, a senior journalism major.

Yet for some freshmen the friendly, relaxed atmosphere holds more appeal.

"I really like it a lot. It's near the dining hall and classes," said freshman Sara Wermuth,. "It's funny. People are always watching other people in here."

Junior Matt Gitzinger's opinions of the Undergrad have changed dramatically since he was a freshmen. "I heard that the Undergrad was the place to hang out. I was not very impressed at first."

But after the renovations, Gitzinger said the new undergrad is his "library of choice."