University Community Should Vote as Tribute To Wellstone's Memory

On Friday, UNC lost one of its own with the passing of Sen. Paul Wellstone, D-Minn. Wellstone graduated from UNC with a B.A. in 1965 and with a Ph.D. in 1969. During his years at UNC, Wellstone was an All-ACC wrestler, and it was at UNC that many say he began his career as fighter for all people.

There is no doubt that Wellstone was the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate, yet he remained one of the most respected members among his colleagues. A dogged fighter for the issues in which he believed, Wellstone never bowed to the powers of partisan politics to compromise his positions. Wellstone, however, was more than a passionate advocate. He was a genuine person.

Two years ago, I was fortunate to briefly meet Sen. Wellstone on the Senate subway. Accustomed to frequently seeing senators on the subway, I was amazed when Sen. Wellstone struck up a conversation with me.

Immediately upon hearing that I had previously attended UNC and planned to attend UNC law school, Sen. Wellstone sang the praises of the University and the law school.

For a brief moment, we were simply two Tar Heel graduates having a conversation as if we had been friends for years.

Sen. Wellstone did not need to speak to me, but he chose to because he strongly believed in treating people equally. Regardless of who you were, Sen. Wellstone tried to get everyone involved.

As a tribute to Sen. Wellstone, I encourage all UNC students, faculty and staff, regardless of your party affiliation, to go out and vote. Let's send a message to Sen. Wellstone that his passion for political involvement and advocacy lives on at his alma mater.

Hunter Pruette
Professional Student
Law School