Week to Celebrate UNC Spirit

Homecoming week to include parade

In the past two years, big-name bands OutKast and The String Cheese Incident have played concerts to large crowds of students. Because of logistical problems, however, no similar concert is scheduled this year, said Laura Kiernan, Carolina Athletic Association's Homecoming director.

"The biggest issue was trying to find a location," she said. "Memorial Hall was closed, and Carmichael (Auditorium) was already booked."

CAA officials are planning another concert for later this year, but no date has been set, Kiernan said.

Many of the Homecoming events are musical but do not involve any well-known names.

On Oct. 30, the Campus Y and CAA are co-sponsoring a local battle of the bands at 8 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Student Union. The bands have not yet been selected, Kiernan said.

Then Nov. 1, the General Alumni Association and CAA are hosting a benefit concert at the UNC Children's Hospital that will feature the cover band Fabulous Lumpsterf.

Other events throughout the week include a free kickoff lunch for all students Oct. 28, carnival-like activities at Polk Place on Halloween afternoon and the Blue-White basketball game following Saturday's football game against Maryland.

Organizers said the highlight of the week will be the Homecoming parade on Halloween. It will begin near Granville Towers and continue down Franklin Street to Raleigh Street and South Road before finishing at the Bell Tower.

Kiernan said she hopes many student organizations will participate in the parade, which is open to all campus groups. "In years past, there have been parades that were a big deal," she said. "That has sort of worn away. We're hoping for as many organizations as possible this year."

The week's events will culminate in the crowning of Mr. and Mrs. UNC at halftime of the football game.

Larry Braithwaite and Berry French are the two candidates for Mr. UNC.

Four female seniors submitted applications for Mrs. UNC, but the maximum number of candidates is three.

After conducting a series of interviews on Monday night, the CAA eliminated one candidate, leaving Rhonda Patterson, Susan Peters and Margaret Young as finalists.

Students will vote on Student Central to select Mr. and Mrs. UNC on Oct. 30 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.