Wellstone's Death Leaves Hole That We All Must Work to Fill

We lost a bit of our inherent optimism. Paul Wellstone never gave up his belief that he could make the world a better place. In 1990, on a shoestring budget and having held no public office, he won election to the U.S. Senate. He criss-crossed Minnesota on a green bus that would become his trademark, talking to people, listening to their concerns and ideas and boldly telling him his own stances, even when his views were different or unpopular. His unashamedly idealistic style touched those he came into contact with, proving that they could stay true to their beliefs and be successful.

We lost a bit of our desire to do what is right, not what is easy. Wellstone narrowly won election twice, but more importantly, he won the respect of nearly every person who knew him. No one doubted his passion for his causes, nor could they question his motives. Wellstone was a man who followed his heart, who felt a need to do what he thought was right, regardless of the political consequences.

Once he was approached by a young voter who quite openly told him, "I don't agree with a word you say, I will never vote for you, but you are the only politician I respect." It was a sentiment echoed by a Rep. Jim Ramstad, R-Minn., who upon learning of Wellstone's death said, "I have lost a partner."

We lost a bit of our common decency and respect for all people. As strong physically as he was in his convictions, Wellstone held the chin-up record in the Capitol police force's gym, in which he regularly exercised with the men and women charged with protecting him. Many Capitol employees called him "Paul," not "Senator," at his own insistence.

Brian Focht, a UNC student and native Minnesotan, remembered, "When you walked away from shaking Paul's hand, you felt like he really knew you. You felt like he wasn't shaking your hand for your money or your vote, but for you. It was never a surprise to see him."

Indeed, throughout his career Wellstone became known as a champion of overlooked and underappreciated groups of Americans, serving on both the Veterans Affairs Committee and the Committee on Indian Affairs. He worked with Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., to try to block permanent normal trade relations with China, fearing such relations would harm American workers, and with Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., to prevent international trafficking in women.

The man whose diminutive stature was more than made up for by his passion and big heart spent his entire career fighting for the little guy. He promoted the interests of those, like disabled veterans and women sold into slavery, who couldn't do so for themselves. He was a hero.

When Minnesotan Hilary Lundquist, a sophomore psychology major, heard of Wellstone's death, her first reaction was disbelief, then shock, then sadness and then finally concern. She wondered who would keep the flame alive -- who would combine Wellstone's passion for his causes with his humanity, approachability and concern for the common person.

After Missouri Gov. Mel Carnahan, a Senate candidate, was killed in a similar plane accident in 2000, his wife Jean told America that we were all "keepers of the flame."

All of us have a responsibility to carry on in the best tradition of Sen. Wellstone, fighting for causes we believe in, remembering to treat all human beings with respect and dignity and never giving up the belief that we can indeed change the world for the better. On Nov. 5, go vote. That simple action is the most fitting tribute to Paul Wellstone we could give.

Contact Dan Harrison at dsharris@email.unc.edu.