23 Restaurant Closes Doors Temporarily

Restaurant management said Michael Jordan's 23 -- which opened three years ago -- closed down for renovations but declined to comment on reasons behind the restaurant's closing.

Peter Klein of Cornerstone Management, the firm that handles 23's marketing, said there is no date set for the business's reopening. "They're temporarily closed. They're going to try some new concepts," he said. "They're waiting to see what happens."

Klein did not want to offer details on the nature of the restaurant's recent business or the planned renovations.

"We'll miss them. It was a good restaurant that we enjoyed having downtown," said Robert Humphreys, executive director of the Downtown Commission.

However, Humphreys said, the closing has been positive for some other restaurants. "The effect I've already heard it's had is other restaurants have gotten added business," he said.

The restaurant included a room that could be rented out for private parties. Humphreys said the business the room brought 23 already is being dispersed to other Chapel Hill venues.

The restaurant opened in 1999 on West Franklin Street. It served American cuisine, including a 1-pound burger and shrimp and grits. It also contained a retail shop that featured sports attire with Michael Jordan and UNC insignias.

The restaurant attracted attention and business with Michael Jordan's name recognition when it first opened in the heart of Chapel Hill.

The restaurant kicked off with a bang when Jordan came to the dedication, surrounded by former UNC men's basketball coach Dean Smith and many fans.

The restaurant, complete with large television screens and a bar, served as a location to watch UNC games. It also played host to men's basketball coach Matt Doherty's weekly radio show, which now will broadcast from radio station WTRG until it can find a new home.

The Chapel Hill location is just one of Jordan's off-the-court endeavors. Jordan also owns a 23 in Uncasville, Conn., and another restaurant, Jordans, in Washington, D.C.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.