2 in Congress Resign; O'Brien to Run Again

Next special election scheduled for Nov. 26

Congress members Kristin Taylor, District 16, and Ben Davidson, District 19, both announced their resignations.

Taylor said she had to resign because she recently moved out of her district and into District 18. She said she hopes to return to Congress in the future.

Davidson said he wished to announce his resignation now, before time conflicts prohibiting him from participating in Congress forced him to resign at the beginning of the spring semester.

Davidson represented the same district that former Congress Speaker Pro Tem Matt O'Brien moved into two weeks ago. O'Brien's move forced him to resign from Congress.

While Davidson said knowledge that O'Brien was in his district didn't influence his decision, O'Brien said Davidson approached him about a week ago.

O'Brien said Davidson let him know about the decision to resign, allowing him time to consider rejoining Congress as a representative for the district. O'Brien said he was grateful for the information.

"I didn't know about Ben's decision to resign when I moved," O'Brien said. "But now I do plan to run for his position."

O'Brien will be on the ballot for the Nov. 26 special election called to fill vacancies in Congress. If elected, he will return as a regular Congress member rather than as the speaker pro tem. "I don't think it will be weird at all," he said. "Any member of Congress can be just as actively involved as any other. Just because I would no longer be pro tem wouldn't stop me from voicing my opinions."

Speaker Pro Tem Matt Liles echoed O'Brien's sentiments. "It could be strange with Matt coming back, but knowing him and knowing how he is, I don't think there will be any problems," he said. "He is so professional and legislative and good at making his ideas heard, I don't even think it will throw a kink in the works."

Liles said he has given no thought to stepping down and allowing O'Brien to resume his former position.

O'Brien said he is "only concentrating on getting in right now" and does not have a specific agenda in mind if elected. "People have been asking me if I'm going to run for speaker, but right now I have no idea," he said. "I have to get back in first -- I'll decide all that later."