48 Expelled As Cheating Trial Ends

Guilty verdicts bring dismissals from UVa.

Each of the students either was found guilty by the Honor Committee or independently withdrew enrollment.

Three students had their diplomas revoked.

The students were accused in April 2001 by UVa. physics Professor Lou Bloomfield of violating the school's Honor Code by cheating on their term papers.

After he suspected that students were cheating in his Physics 105 and 106 courses, "How Things Work," Bloomfield created a computer program capable of identifying phrase similarities among term papers.

Students who took Bloomfield's class within the past two years were subject to charges because the Honor Code has a two-year statute of limitation.

Bloomfield's program recognized 158 papers with suspected plagiarized material.

Once a student has been accused of plagiarism, two students investigate each case and report to a panel made up of three students that decides whether the student is guilty or not.

Not all of the suspected students were found guilty of plagiarism because students are allowed to utilize a previously written paper as a "source paper" in Bloomfield's course, said Honor Committee Chairman Christopher Smith.

He added that the key difference between the 109 people exonerated and those dismissed was the initiation of another paper utilized as a copy versus a source.

"The university's Honor Code states that you have to show 'lying, cheating, or stealing' and prove there was 'dishonest intent' that is considered 'serious' to validate an honor offense," Smith said.

No student was allowed to remain at the university because expulsion is the only possible sentence for Honor Code violations.

The Honor Committee, run by 23 UVa. students, heard individual cases against more than 150 students.

Bloomfield said he is glad the trials finally are over. "It was an enormous amount of work."

The individual nature of the trials ensured that justice was served because each student was held liable only for his own actions and not those of his classmates, Smith said.

"I think we had a fair process because each case was handled separately," he said.

Both Bloomfield and Smith said that although they are pleased the trial has concluded, they regret that the events ever occurred.

"The value isn't in the cases themselves but in the education that comes out in dealing with the situation," Bloomfield said.

He added that he thinks students now have a greater appreciation for the Honor Code and the participation it requires of everyone on campus.

"It takes constant renewal," Bloomfield said.

"It's a contractual relationship between faculty and students."

UVa. has one of the oldest honor systems in the country.

The trial results ultimately will strengthen the university's fundamental honor system, Smith said.

"There are no thoughts of changing the code," he said. "It has been that way for over 160 years."

And Bloomfield said he is ready to put the past violations behind him. "Now we can get down to business -- education."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.