4 Memorial Endowments Created for UNC Graduates

The most recent is an endowment for Christopher Quackenbush, who was working for investment banking firm Sandler O'Neill in the World Trade Center. James Dunne of Sandler O'Neill in New York established the Christopher Quackenbush fund for his long-time friend and business partner. Christopher Quackenbush was a 1979 graduate and a major UNC benefactor.

The alumnus endowed the Albert Ray Newsome Distinguished Professorship for the study of the South in honor of his grandfather. He also gave an endowment for women's lacrosse. Gifts were made to the renovations of Memorial Hall, Kenan Stadium, Finley Golf Course, Navy Field and the softball field.

The Christopher Quackenbush fund has been established in conjunction with the Robertson Scholars program, the scholarship that allows students to take classes at both UNC and Duke University.

Officials at the Office of Development would not comment on the endowment's exact amount.

Eric Mlyn, the Robertson Scholars program's director, said the endowment provides funding for all UNC and Duke undergraduates, except Robertson scholars, to attend cultural events at the other campus.

Christopher Quackenbush's brother Michael Quackenbush said his brother would appreciate what the money is being used for. "My brother was interested in all types of entertainment."

Other endowments have been created in the memories of other UNC graduates killed in the terrorist attacks.

Ryan Kohart, a 1998 alumnus who also worked at the World Trade Center, came to UNC from New York on a lacrosse scholarship. Sue Walsh, vice president for endowment at the Athletic Education Foundation, said Kohart's fiancee called Walsh after he died and said Kohart wanted a scholarship established for a lacrosse player.

Family and friends have raised more than $125,000 toward an endowment of $150,000. Once the endowment goal is reached, a scholarship will be established for a UNC lacrosse player. "They took on his dream," Walsh said.

A need-based scholarship has been set up for Mary Lou Hague for students from West Virginia, where Hague grew up. Hague was a 1996 UNC graduate who worked at the World Trade Center.

Friends and family of 1992 UNC graduate Karleton Fyfe organized the Karleton D.B. Fyfe scholarship for students majoring in philosophy and economics, Fyfe's two majors.