'8 Mile' Premier Marked By Crowd Stampeding To Get Into Theater

I have never been so embarrassed and disgusted with my fellow students here at UNC than during the events that took place before Thursday night's screening of Eminem's new movie,"8 Mile." The way in which many of the students acted when trying to secure a place in line was just shameful.

If you want to see the movie, you must arrive early, thus guaranteeing admittance to the theater. You do not show up late hoping to find someone you consider a friend in the front line and skip everyone else to sit with them.

I was shocked to see this occur an hour before show time as 100 students stampeded toward the entrance, forgoing any authority, dignity or regard for fellow students in line. A mad rush ensued when a few students decided to run straight for the door. Others, seeing their early line position reduced drastically, followed suit. Hundreds of bodies tried to cram into one small doorway, and this left many students, who had been waiting patiently for over an hour, in a position that meant they would not see the movie. One girl had an asthma or panic attack as a result of the sickening chaos.

Those in charge should have canceled the screening that night as a result. There must be a better and more efficient way to regulate screenings so that these incidents do not happen again. Give out tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis, or hand tickets to those who were in line early. Do not allow the mob mentality to take over.

All students who participated in that event should be ashamed of themselves.

Christopher Baker
Junior
Communications