Aldermen Approve Building Projects

The aldermen continued two public hearings about the applications from Twin Magnolias Condominiums and Carr Mill Limited Partnership from their Oct. 22 meeting.

N.R. Milian Associates, on behalf of Carr Mill Limited Partnership, are planning to build a three-story mixed-use office building on 300 Roberson St. in the Carr Mill Mall.

Most of the debate surrounding the issue dealt with the proposed addition of another sidewalk on Roberson Street and the effect it will have on building plans.

Officials wanted to place a 5-foot-wide sidewalk with a retaining wall on the southern section of Roberson Street.

Mayor Mike Nelson said Carr Mill was not willing to dedicate the land for the sidewalk to the town, and town attorney Michael Braugh said the applicant is not required to do so.

Jack Hagarty of N.R. Milian Associates said they were not aware that they might have to put in a sidewalk before beginning construction. He also said the economic effects of its implementation would be negative.

"The sidewalks seem like a costly imposition (on the builders)," Hagarty said. " We won't be able to use the property fully."

If the town wants to construct the sidewalk, it can appropriate the land later with compensation given to the property owners.

The board passed the application with amendments. The amendments will move the building's land back 8 feet to accommodate room for a potential sidewalk.

Nelson said the proposed building will be a good addition to the town despite conflicting opinions from the aldermen and the applicant about the sidewalk.

"Regardless of the contentiousness of the issues, I think this is by and large very good for Carrboro," Nelson said.

The nature of debate concerning Twin Magnolias Condominiums took a different route. The majority of the discussion dealt with parking and traffic.

Twin Magnolias Condominiums will be built at 107 Jones Ferry Road by the Rick Williams Construction Company. The complex contains 22 dwelling units, some single- and some two-family.

The Carrboro Planning Board recommended a reduction in the number of parking spaces from 61 to 46.

Mariana Fiorentino, the real estate broker for the project, said the condominiums need ample parking to accommodate guests so they will not use Laurel Avenue and local neighborhoods to park.

Some residents thought the high amount of parking spaces would make living in the development more attractive to students.

"We do not have students. We do not have rowdy parties," Fiorentino said about an existing development almost identical to Twin Magnolias on Roberson Street.

The aldermen amended the application to reduce parking from four spaces in front of each unit to three.

Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said she had concerns about traffic coming in and out of the development.

The board resolved the traffic issue by configuring the building plan to only allow a right in and right out of the complex onto Jones Ferry Road. The aldermen said it is dependent on the approval of the N.C. Department of Transportation.

Aldermen expressed reservations in approving the application because of some resident opposition, yet they said they found no reason to reject the application within the land ordinance.

Gist said, "I do wish this wasn't allowed, but I don't have any reason to vote against it."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.