BOT Approves Revitalization Of Arts Corner

Arts, music and communications buildings to get revamped in '04.

As planned, the Arts Common will entail new and renovated buildings for the departments of arts, music and communication studies, as well as a landscaped outdoor area over an underground parking deck with a capacity of 300. It will encompass the area between South Columbia Street and McCorkle Place, and Franklin Street and Cameron Avenue.

Consisting of UNC faculty, Town Council members, Mayor Kevin Foy and Franklin Street business owners, the 30-member University Arts Common Committee has been planning the project since October 2001.

The first phase of the project, slated to begin in 2004 after fund raising, necessitates the demolition of Abernethy Hall, Evergreen House, the Hill Hall Annex, West House and the back of Swain Hall.

After the demolition will be the construction of new classroom space, a new music building and the digging of the underground parking deck. This first phase will be completed in 2008 at the earliest and is the largest phase of the Arts Common undertaking.

"(The first phase) will dramatically change that end of campus, even if that was the only thing we did," said Steve Allred, chairman of the Arts Common Committee.

UNC's fine arts departments said they welcome the improved facilities in store.

"The music building is a disaster ... acoustically," said music Professor Jon Finson about Hill Hall. "(It's) certainly the worst of any art department."

Despite the nationally reputed contents of the Music Library in Hill Hall, Finson said faculty members fear a possible steam pipe break that would ruin the entire collection. Hill Hall's basement has been condemned, and water leaks and temperature extremes plague the building's auditorium.

Finson hopes the Arts Common will remedy the structural degradation and general lack of space that characterizes several buildings in that area.

But the change will be an aesthetic addition to campus grounds in addition to adding academic hallways.

Allred said the outdoor area will feature a sculpture garden, a music venue and a small eatery reminiscent of the Daily Grind, a coffee shop outside Student Stores. "The idea is to create a destination like the Pit where students could hang out ... and have a good time," Allred said.

Allred said the entire project could cost up to $200 million.

Allred said, "(The plan's approval) assures we will develop that part of campus in a way that's coherent, consistent and that promotes the arts in a way they've never been promoted before."

The plan's supporters also include members of the Chapel Hill Downtown Commission. Executive Director Robert Humphreys said that the only access between Franklin Street and campus -- the Porthole Alley between the Arts and Sciences building and the Carolina Coffee Shop -- provides poor vehicular access.

Humphreys also said the additional performance venues on campus will provide Franklin Street with heightened business. He said he hopes businesses will help fund the construction of the common with donations in return.

"Undoubtedly (the Arts Common) will be calling on downtown business owners," Humphreys said. "They usually answer that call."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.