BOT OKs Development Despite Protest

The project entails moving the UNC Printing, Grounds, and Environment, Health and Safety buildings to the Giles Horney lot in the Elkin Hills area of Chapel Hill -- a move residents fear will ruin their neighborhood.

"They're talking about building fueling stations, buildings and grounds storage facilities. ... Buildings and grounds cars and trucks that will be backing up at 7 in the morning going 'beep beep beep,'" said Elkin Hills resident Margaret Morse. She and about seven other residents attended the BOT Buildings and Grounds Committee vote on the project's design.

The full BOT later approved the committee's decision.

Morse said she's concerned that the proposed uses for the new buildings are not appropriate for a residential area.

Residents say they also worry about pollution, flooding and increased traffic.

Although a survey gathered by Morse found that roughly 60 percent of all neighborhood inhabitants have some sort of connection to the University, residents still are hoping to find alternatives to the proposed use of the land.

As of yet, University officials have been unwilling to discuss the alternatives the survey found to be most popular -- using the area for environmental studies, a recreational area or an art lab expansion.

Elkin Hills residents weren't allowed to speak at the committee meeting because discussion was limited to the project's design. The board already had approved the location at a previous meeting.

Residents were allowed to distribute a prepared written statement saying they would like to discuss other uses for the Elkin Hills site and alternative sites for the Campus Services Support Facilities, but residents are disappointed that officials have rejected such debate so far.

Though the BOT has given its stamp of approval to the project as a whole, the University still has to get special permission from the town before it can start construction. And because residents contend that existing zoning laws prohibit most of the uses intended for the proposed buildings, University officials can't be sure they'll get the go-ahead.

"We'll go back and talk with senior leadership of the University after talking with the neighbors again," said Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for facilities planning and construction.

But he said that if the parties can't reach an agreement soon, UNC will submit a special-use proposal to the town anyway.

The local representatives of Elkin Hills said that when the issue is brought before the Town Council, the unified majority of residents will fight it.

"We've been talking and working with members of the University, and we've had good discussions, but they haven't really gotten us anywhere," said Elkin Hills resident Mike Collins. "We didn't find any flexibility."