Campus Y Leaders Request UNC Seniors Pick Memorial To Show Support for Group

As a member of the senior class and co-president of the Campus Y, I would like to ask the senior class to take a close look at what has affected and defined us as a senior class -- and to choose the 9/11 memorial and art gallery as our senior gift.

In evaluating our options, the bottom line is this: Sept. 11 was an event that changed the way our class looked at the world around us. The 9/11 gift option would ensure the remembrance of this crucial time in our lives. The placement of the memorial in the Campus Y is ideal, as we are working toward renovations which will make it a central location on campus -- with student/faculty lounges, conference rooms and an open door cafe.

The newly renovated Undergraduate Library already has state and private funds. The Campus Y does not. The gift would guarantee the longevity and success of the Y, which has fostered action, change and diversity on our campus for years.

In creating an art gallery in the newly renovated Y, we would be showing the UNC arts community support long overdue for what they stand for at our University. It is time to show appreciation for a sorely underrated part of UNC's community.

Hildy Fong
Campus Y Co-president