Carrboro Manager Resigns, Heads to Greensboro

Morgan, 53, is a man who is held in high esteem by his colleagues. Words such as intelligent, hardworking and excellent with people were among those used to describe Morgan on Monday.

Mayor Mike Nelson, who has worked with Morgan for nine years, said Morgan is effective in keeping with the changing pace of the community.

"Carrboro has changed so much in the last 20 years," Nelson said. "I guess what impresses me most is how he was able to guide the town through all these changes."

Many Board of Aldermen members said Morgan's relaxed professional manner creates a productive work atmosphere.

Bing Roenigk, assistant to the town manager, said Morgan established a highly adaptive and motivated workplace.

"Flexibility really permeates the culture of the organization," Roenigk said.

Morgan's move came as somewhat of a surprise to the aldermen. They found out about Morgan's plans the day he accepted the position in Greensboro.

Officials expect the search for a new town manager to take three to six months. Upon Morgan's departure, the aldermen will appoint an interim town manager. Morgan will help the board with organization and implementation of the process. Roenigk said she will not apply for the job.

Morgan is modest about his achievements and impact on Carrboro. He credits the aldermen and staff he worked with. "I don't think one person leaves a legacy. I was part of a formula."

Morgan said the best advice he received was during his first week as town manager of Carrboro in 1984.

"My first mayor that I worked with told me on my third day on the job: 'Let's agree to disagree,' and I've always found this to be good advice," he said.

He said he was unperturbed moving from town manager of a small town to assistant town manager of a larger city. "We have a lot of the same issues as a larger city has," he said. "I think I bring some different views and talents to the organization that (Greensboro) might find helpful."

At first, Morgan said, he was not sure he would accept the job. "I didn't know until Wednesday of last week that I was going to take the job."

Though six months from being eligible to retire, Morgan said he plans to work for years to come. "I told Carrboro I'd stay here five years. I think I filled that commitment," he said.

"I told Greensboro five years. Who knows how long I'll stay there."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.