Cultural Attitudes Surrounding Rape Are Damaging to Women

One in four women will be raped during their lifetimes. That does not include attempted rapes, sexual harassment and other forms of sexual assault. The statistic does not warrant feeling from many people, though. People don't believe it, think it's exaggerated or don't even know it.

Rape is the worst form of robbery, stealing a person's dignity and personal privacy. Unlike being robbed of your wallet, the degradation doesn't stop after the scene is over. A woman claiming she was raped often is chastised for "lying" or accused of exaggerating what happened.

The assumption that women like men to dominate them keeps rape thriving and also reflects why rape victims are not taken seriously. The notion that "she liked it" desensitizes us to the seriousness of the crime.

Then there are our misconceptions of rape that encourage our rape culture. The scary stranger hiding behind the bushes will not account for the 25 percent of women raped.

A woman's best friend, boyfriend or trustworthy male in her life likely will. That is rarely taught, though, so when trusted men commit the crime, many women don't believe rape is the right definition.

No wonder date rape is the most common but ignored form of rape. Women do not expect trusted people to rape them, and because of it many women never are aware they were victims.

The most effective enforcer of rape, however, is silence. If a women decides to come forward and admit she was raped, there is a stigma attached. It's all in the questioning.

Questions rape victims are asked are not just questions but have undertones that it was her fault, not a big deal or both -- Why did you go to his room? Why didn't you scream? Did he put a gun to your head or hit you? Why didn't you go to the police? Why did you take so long to say something?

Someone robbed of jewelry does not go through the third degree. It is assumed the person is vulnerable for being victimized. Why then are rape victims so often treated as if they are the offender themselves?

And for the record: She probably went to his room because she trusted him; maybe she did scream or maybe she thought screaming would make the situation more dangerous; he probably didn't put a gun to her head, but that's not necessary to rape somebody; she probably didn't go to the police or say anything until now because she knew she wouldn't be believed anyway.

It's a sad but true fact that women are devalued. We always have been treated as second-class citizens, so it is not surprising that rape is so common. Disrespecting women is OK. It's in our music, pornography and magazines -- our culture.

More importantly, though, our laws support rape by not aggressively stating that sexual assault is intolerable. If the rape punishments were harsher, rape would decrease.

Laws against rape will not be enforced, however, until there is a genuine respect for women in our society. We still have a long way to go. Many predict women will never gain the full status of men. Maybe not. But most people 50 years ago didn't predict women holding public offices and heading Fortune 500 companies, either.

No matter how much women are discredited as being the weaker sex, we've fought long and hard to get where we are today.

Hopefully rape will be ignored one day because it no longer happens -- not because people choose to ignore it. The fact women are still targeted as sexual victims while advancing in all other realms means sexual assault needs to be dealt with accordingly -- through speaking out, action and law enforcement combined.

Reach Tiffanie Drayton at drayton@email.unc.edu.