DTH Dedication to Cyberspace Blazes New Trail for Paper

Less surprising to media watchers, as well as the rest of humanity, the Times reported last month that columns devoted to chronicling sexual adventures on campus are popular features at a growing number of college papers.

The Daily Tar Heel is apparently on the opposite side of both trends.

The paper strengthened its emphasis on dailytarheel.com this year, posting Web-only content each day and running a page-one promotional box under the banner that references the online edition. Last spring, those boxes were buried on page two and ran only when the paper had content to highlight. Managing Editor Alex Kaplun says the newfound focus was designed to enhance the profile of the DTH site. "We knew we'd be running a lot of content," says Kaplun, "and we wanted people to go online."

Online Editor Adam Shupe credits these initiatives with increasing the average weekday hits on dailytarheel.com in September to about 70,000, up from a 41,000 daily average for September 2001. Average hits each weekend day have doubled to 20,000. "The online photo galleries and stories promoted on the front page are a great draw for paper-only readers," says Shupe. The DTH prints 20,000 copies of each paper and claims 39,000 daily print readers.

Total hits counts all visits, including each login to a newsroom computer, the home pages of which are set to the DTH site. Shupe says the site registered more than 78,600 "unique hits," or visits from different computers, during the month of October.

Janet Gallagher-Cassel, DTH director and general manager, says these numbers translate into 13,000 dailytarheel.com viewers each day. The Times stated that UCLA's Daily Bruin, serving a campus with at least 10,000 more students in the nation's second largest city, draws only 9,000 daily visitors to its site. And only 30 percent of students polled in a Student Monitor survey from spring 2002 said their campus paper bothered to produce an online version.

According to the Times, Oregon State's Daily Barometer did not update its Web site all summer. The Barometer's summer editor pointed out the obvious utility of the paper version during students' favorite reading time. "It's easier to sit and read it," she said, "than take your laptop to class."

Gallagher-Cassel says print promotion of dailytarheel.com is beneficial but the core online audience remains off campus: alumni and others interested in UNC events. Only 19 percent of the site's visitors, she says, come from "edu" hosts. (Note to conspiracy theorists: One percent of traffic comes from military servers).

The Neilsen//NetRatings service tracks Web traffic at commercial newspapers and reports that during the last week in September, The Wall Street Journal's site received more than 475,000 unique hits and the Los Angeles Times' site more than 600,000. UNC journalism Professor Phil Meyer says commercial paper Web operations are less about expanding readership than preventing the flow of classified advertising revenue to online job sites.

In October, Gannett spent almost $100 million to buy a one-third stake in Internet employment hunter CareerBuilder. Now owned in part by the top three newspaper chains (Gannett, Knight Ridder and Tribune), CareerBuilder is battling Monster.com to be the No. 1 online job board.

Having a predominately off-campus audience impacts the economics of the DTH's Web operation. Gallagher-Cassel says the DTH's core advertisers are all local businesses seeking to reach campus residents and thus prefer to be in the print version. She says dailytarheel.com produces only $2,000 to $3,000 a year in ad revenue. "But we'd have the Web site even if we didn't make a dime," she adds. "We have the Web site because the DTH's mission is to teach. It's a learning lab, and Web sites are a part of most papers."

The DTH curriculum also includes balance sheet management, as the paper is a largely self-sustaining business. Ad sales determine the amount of news space available in the paper, which has been shrinking along with the rest of the economy.

This space shortage highlights the importance of Web capabilities, as there are no page limits in cyberspace. In addition to the photo galleries, dailytarheel.com has contained stories and letters that could not fit in the printed version, as well as text of speeches by University and student leaders.

One way to increase Web traffic is to join the growing number of campus papers with columns like "Sex on Tuesday" in UC-Berkeley's Daily Californian or the Boston College paper's "Sex and the Univer-city." The Times profiled the Yale Daily News's sex columnist, whose rumination last spring about oral sex drew 200,000 hits to the paper's site. The Boston Herald reports the columnist now has an agent and is writing a book.

Editorial page gatekeeper Lucas Fenske is having none of this at the DTH, however. "I would never hire someone to talk about sex for an entire semester," he says. "Seeing 15 columns dealing with being 'sexiled' and awkward mornings-after doesn't strike me as the best way to go about informing students." Fenske, who is seeking editorial columnists for the spring semester, admits he would likely end up reading such a column, "provided it ran online or in some other publication."

Reach Ombudsman Michael Flynn at mlflynn@email.unc.edu.