Eating Out Helps Out Hungry, Homeless

74 restaurants to donate some of profits.

Restaurants Sharing V (5) plus V (5) Percent is an annual fund-raiser that started in 1989. Participating restaurants donate 10 percent of their gross receipts from one day to the Inter-Faith Council to help fund its homeless shelter.

Eating today at any one of the 74 participating restaurants for breakfast, lunch or dinner will contribute to the cause.

"Every dollar we get from RSVVP goes directly to purchasing food for the shelter," said Rosetta Wash, director of the IFC Community House and IFC Community Kitchen. "It's a wonderful program that these businesses do for the community to feed the homeless and hungry."

The Community House provides shelter and other forms of support, such as medical assistance, for the homeless and the hungry. The Community Kitchen provides meals three times a day.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro restaurants raised $15,394 in 2001, exceeding the $15,000 goal. "This year we're hoping for $16,500," said Betty Longiotti, chairwoman of RSVVP. "The needs are great."

IFC representatives say that with a struggling economy resulting in layoffs in the area, the group has seen an increase in demand for its services.

"There was a 46 percent increase from last year in clients at the food pantry," said Eric Cassily, special events and fund-raising assistant.

Longiotti said she hopes patrons will find it easier to participate in RSVVP this year. "One new thing this year is the names of the restaurants listed on the IFC Web site," she said. Patrons also can check for RSVVP signs in restaurant windows and listings in local newspapers.

Area restaurant owners say they welcome the philanthropic opportunities offered by RSVVP.

Lantern, located at 423 W. Franklin St., has been open for less than a year and is participating in the program for the first time. Co-owner Andrea Reusing said she is excited about RSVVP and has been publicizing it. "It's a really good thing to do," she said. "It's funds for food for people who need it most."

Elmo's Diner, located at 200 N. Greensboro St. in Carrboro, has participated in the fund-raiser for several years.

"It was part of our mission statement when we opened our company to be a citizen of the community as a business and participate in things that matter," said co-owner Cindy McMahan. "It's nice exposure, too."

In years past, she said, the diner has been busier than usual on the day of the program.

Robert Humphreys, executive director of Chapel Hill's Downtown Commission, said most restaurants see an increase in business. "It's a painless way to participate in the community," he said. "Whatever they lose through donating, generally ... they make up."

Longiotti said RSVVP can unite the community. "It's one day a year when everyone in Chapel Hill and Carrboro can feel that they helped meet the needs of the hungry in the community."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.