Ehringhaus' Pay Will Come From Private Sources

Ehringhaus will return in the fall to teach at the School of Law.

The UNC-Chapel Hill Foundation, part of the University's Endowment Fund, will provide the money to pay more than $376,000 over the next two years to Ehringhaus, who has an annual salary of $188,321.

Until recently, it was unclear to the public whether the funds would come from private or state money.

But Nancy Davis, associate vice chancellor for university affairs, said it always was clear to administrators that taxpayers' money would not be used.

"It was assumed all along that it would be private and not public funds," Davis said.

The UNC-CH Foundation, one of many foundations in the Endowment Fund, holds unrestricted private gifts made to the University from a variety of sources, including individuals, foundations, corporations and estates.

Chancellor James Moeser was unavailable for comment Sunday, but Provost Robert Shelton said Moeser made the decision to use private funds to cover Ehringhaus' salary and likely informed the UNC Board of Trustees of this decision at last week's meeting.

"The chancellor is the person responsible for making the decisions, not the BOT," he said. "The BOT would have just been informed of his decision."

The salary agreement has sparked criticism because it comes at a time when the state is suffering from severe budgetary problems.

Although some faculty, staff and members of the public have criticized Moeser's decision, Shelton said he stands behind it.

"Continuing to cover Ehringhaus' salary is very much in everyone's interest," he said.

"She has been an extraordinary leader and worker for the University for three decades. It may be hard for people to understand this, but with the salary we've given her, we've pretty much had a bargain for the past 30 years."

Ehringhaus, who has been teaching at the law school during spring semesters, will return to teach full time after her eight months in Washington.

"It's very common for someone who shifts back into a faculty position and changes their venue to have time to retool and regroup," Shelton said.

"You often give them a year sabbatical so they can update what they know with the latest literature, prepare their class and get back into the cutting-edge knowledge of being a faculty member."

Shelton said critics of Moeser's decision need to understand Ehringhaus' situation.

"You can't expect to win a research grant if you've been away from teaching for so long."