Eminem Loses Himself in Familiar Ground of '8 Mile'

"8 Mile"

There have been many people who have claimed that the art of Marshall Mathers Jr., known to most as Eminem, inspires violence and intolerance.

In his new film, "8 Mile," Eminem's character exhibits some traits that fly in the face of those who'd call his art intolerant. But his character does love a good fistfight. The film, unlike many other music movies, does a good job presenting his character as only human.

"8 Mile," directed by Curtis Hanson ("L.A. Confidential," "Wonder Boys"), tells the story of a week in the life of Jimmy "Rabbit" Smith Jr., an aspiring Detroit rapper. After breaking up, for seemingly indistinct reasons, with his "pregnant" girlfriend, Rabbit moves back in with mother, Stephanie, (Kim Basinger) in a trailer park on 8 Mile Road.

In a figurative sense, 8 Mile Road is portrayed as the dividing line between Detroit's black culture and white culture. Rabbit strives to transcend this boundary even though his lyrical ambitions don't immediately result in rap respect.

The appearance of Alex (Brittany Murphy) throws more confusion into Rabbit's romantic life. She's an opportunistic girl who wants nothing more than to leave Detroit for New York modeling stardom and attaches herself to Rabbit's talent all too readily.

Basically, "8 Mile" is the story of a talented underdog navigating his way through mean streets and meaner circumstances.

The film should dismantle any assumptions that Eminem, despite his relentless bravado and presence on records and in videos, won't be able to bring credibility to the big screen.

The rapper, despite not being extraordinarily electrifying until the film's climax, remains convincing and is never too over-the-top. Although Rabbit's tenderness toward his little sister seems a little too ready-made, he consistently seethes both visibly and subtly.

Basinger ably plays against type as his mother, who's willing to tolerate a boozing, abusive boyfriend because she thinks she can't do any better.

Rabbit's crew, Cheddar Bob (Evan Jones) and Sol George (Omar Benson Miller) in particular, are quite funny and add the most humanity to the desperate rapper's life.

Other than Rabbit and Stephanie, the rest of the film's characters are minimally developed.

Although Mekhi Phifer is excellent as the supportive Future and is more animated than the protagonist, he serves no other purpose than as a coach to Rabbit. Equally skeletal is Wink -- the "friend" who might get Rabbit a record deal or who might be screwing him over.

But Alex, who should have played a larger role as the love interest, is the least developed character. She is used primarily as a pouting-lipped, scantily clad sexual trash-receptacle who'll do anything or anyone to get out of Detroit.

All flaws aside, "8 Mile" probably does more to bring the culture of rap emcees into the mainstream than any other in blockbuster history. The film does a credible job of portraying urban youth brought together -- or divided -- by their love of and loyalty to hip-hop music and rhyming.

Ultimately, the movie is a strong first showing for Eminem and possibly could act as a stable launching pad for a more extensive film career.

Given time, "8 Mile" could attain a place in the pantheon of great music films, a la"Purple Rain," "Gimme Shelter" or "La Bamba."

And as far as rap features go, it's infinitely better than the Fat Boys' "Disorderlies."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.