Giving Helms a Honorary Degree Would Betray What UNC Represents

How do you rationalize bigotry? How can you downplay racism? And how do you hide prejudice behind praises for "kindness," "courtesy" and "superior constituent service?" Columnist Michael McKnight would have the University not only forget Sen. Jesse Helms' atrocious opinions and statements but applaud them by bestowing upon him an honorary degree.

It is well known that Helms was opposed to many programs directed at the black community and vehemently denounced homosexuals. Just because an unfortunate number of North Carolinians happened to agree with him does not mean he is acting in the best interests of our state by adopting stances against these and other groups.

On the contrary, by electing him we did not endow him with the power to choose whom to represent and whom to disregard. His abuse of power has somehow been overlooked by too many in North Carolina for too long, and now is not the time to continue to do so.

Honorary degrees are awards that are to be treasured and should not be bestowed lightly. In addition, they should acknowledge service or achievement beyond expectation. When an institution presents such a degree, it should represent the opinions and praises of all its citizens.

As a member of the UNC family, I would feel sorely misrepresented were our school to confer a degree upon Sen. Helms. Indeed, since we have been able to pride ourselves on our open stance with regard to the rights of minorities and homosexuals, I am sure I would not be alone in my outrage.

To condone the actions of Sen. Helms would be horrendous enough; to reward them would be inexcusable.

Sean Grafton
Sophomore
Psychology and Exercise and Sports Sciences