Group to Aid International Students

But international students are at a disadvantage to U.S. students in that not only is college life new to them, so is life in the United States.

The Association of International Students, a recently formed student group, hopes to facilitate the needs of current and entering international students at UNC.

Tareq Barto, a sophomore economics major and co-chairman of AIS, said the organization will help international students by familiarizing them with the campus and its organizations.

Rohit Bhandari, co-chairman of AIS said, "As a sophomore, over the last year I've noticed the lack of international members participating in events on campus."

There was a need for an organization like AIS because international students might have a more difficult time adjusting to campus life than their American peers, Barto said.

AIS hopes to expand by acting as an umbrella organization with other student groups and organizations at the University, such as the Study Abroad Office.

AIS will be able to facilitate these students' adjustments by offering a place where they can convene and where international students will see others from their home countries, Barto said.

The association also is designed to be a hub that will expose other students to international students' cultures, Bhandari said.

"We hope to highlight the diversity on campus that one doesn't see on first notice," he said.

AIS hopes to get foreign students involved in campus events and help them gain the confidence and guidance necessary to start organizations of their own.

Barto said AIS also hopes to create rapport between international and U.S. students at UNC.

"We don't want them to feel as though they are alone," he said.

AIS plans to succeed in establishing ties between American and international students by informing American students about different cultures.

"We want to bring together foreign students and American students and foster an interest in global affairs," Barto said.

"We want to create interest in foreign cultures."

The association hopes to hold an event in the spring to promote awareness about the organization and allow UNC students to experience music and dance from other cultures around the world.

Barto said AIS sent out an e-mail through the International Center, whose mission is to "promote international educational exchange," to reach students who may benefit from their organization.

"It's not easy to make the transition from one culture to another," Bhandari said.

"It's important to make the transition into American life easier."