In Brief

Study: Public Doesn't Trust Doctors, Research

A study conducted by UNC's School of Medicine has shown that a surprisingly large number of people do not trust doctors and medical research.

When asked if they feared being used as experimental "guinea pigs" without their consent, researchers found that 52 percent of whites and a resounding 80 percent of blacks were not trusting of their medical providers.

Even with factors such as education and income controlled, the public was still suspicious and distrusting toward medicine and medicinal research.

The study used data collected from 909 individuals in 1997, and the results of the study and a report on those results can be found in the Nov. 26 edition of the Archives of Internal Medicine, a journal published by the American Medical Association.

Early Education Yields Big Results for Children

A new study conducted at UNC seems to confirm that taxpayers are indeed getting their money's worth when it comes to education.

The study claims that for every dollar spent on early education programs such as Head Start and the Abecedarian Early Childhood Intervention Project, taxpayers can expect a return of four times that amount.

The study is based on a long-term project run from the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute at UNC, which began in the 1970s.

Researchers said they think their findings could have a profound impact on the attitudes concerning early education programs and pay great dividends as politicians consider which programs to fund.

Mothers' Activities May Reduce Birth Defects

According to a study conducted by the UNC School of Public Health, women who are active during the first two trimesters of their pregnancy may experience a decreased risk of pre-term birth.

The study, which took place from 1995-98, involved 1,699 women between the 24th and 29th weeks of the gestation period in their pregnancy.

Pre-term birth is defined as one taking place prior to 37 weeks of the gestation period.

The study specifically identifies what constitutes an active lifestyle, or "vigorous leisure activities."

Those activities include exercise programs such as swimming laps, jogging and participating in aerobics.

A report on the study was published in the November issue of the journal Epidemiology.